This is Casey…
I went to the grocery store on Saturday and bought all this chicken for $2.43!
I refused to shop at Safeway/Albertsons for many years because it was soooooo expensive. January 2018, my SHMM introduced to me to HOW TO SHOP AT SAFEWAY. He is a Mega-Savings Shopper. So I trust him. Now I can’t stop shopping there.
His tricks to shopping at Safeway/Albertsons:
- Download the Safeway/Albertson app. and sign up for the store rewards program.
- Click on all of the J4U (Just For You) savings. These are basically virtual coupons that are big time deals. Loss leaders for you coupon veterans. The new J4U savings in my area come out every Sunday and Wednesday.
- Buy only J4U items with one exception…CLEARANCE SECTION!
- There are a few Clearance Sections in Safeway. Just learn where they are in your particular store and always look for 50% off items. I prefer the 50% off items because I am not very good at math, but I still know how to divide almost any number by two. Also 50% is usually a pretty good deal.
- At the Safeway I frequent, there are three clearance sections: dry goods, meat, and dairy. I visit them all, every time I shop. FYI, most dairy items can be frozen. I am not a stickler for expiration dates if items have been in my deep freezer. Frozen sour cream and cream cheese are great for baking, and frozen Greek Yogurt is almost better than actual ice cream. However, I am not an expert or a food scientist, I am just a Cheap-Ass Mother Trucker.
- Once you pay for and save at the cash register, you will earn Rewards Points that can be redeemed for money off of gas, free food items, or my personal favorite, MONEY OFF OF YOUR NEXT SHOPPING TRIP!
- Redeem rewards through the app and the next time you shop, pick up your free items or watch as your receipt moves closer and closer to $0.
- Safeway/Albertson also has this once per year Monopoly game that is fun to play just for the Instant Winners. Basically, free food, and points towards Safeway Gift Cards. I typically hate games, I LOVE SAFEWAY MONOPOLY!
On Saturday, my SHMM and I decided to have some real fun and turn in all of our Instant Winners at Safeway, and leave with a receipt balance of $0. We were going in for our free: Red Baron Pizza, hamburger buns, three donuts, animal crackers, waters, Hormel pepperoni, organic popcorn, and mini carrots… and then we saw the clearance section in the meat department.
50% of chicken breasts, which made them $1.50 per pound. That by itself is a good deal, but I had Safeway Rewards points to be used. So, while SHMM bagged the chicken and put them in the basket, I redeemed my virtual coupon for $7 off of any meat department purchase and $5 off of any grocery story purchase.
Off to the check-out register we went. I was giddy with excitement. I love a good deal. This Mega-Savings happens to SHMM all the time, so I don’t know if he had the butterflies that I did. At the register, all of the coupons and deals came off of the receipt as they were supposed to. It all worked, and I felt like a big winner. Seriously, I was ready for someone to suggest we be on the next episode of Extreme Couponing. I would have to have SHMM with me on the show. I would need an extra set of eyes to help me find all of the killer deals.
And that is the story of how I bought 10 lbs. of chicken breasts for $2.43.
I just remembered…next I’ll have to tell you how I got free ground turkey! It is a good story.